Chairman: Vern Powell, CJF, TE, DipWCF Contact Email: email@example.com
Mission: To select, organize and supervise an international exchange of farriers between the AFA and participating national farriery associations.
Pictured below are our selected 2018 exchange applicants, Heather Beauchemin, CJF TE (long exchange) and Annabelle Westley, CJF (long exchange).
|Heather Beauchemin in the UK
|Annabelle Westley in the UK
There are two types of exchanges possible for applicants. The first is the traditional 3 month exchange, which runs from late June through mid September. The other is the new 2-4 week exchange. This trip is designed to accommodate farriers who are the sole income earner in a family and have financial and family commitments which make the longer time period prohibitive. This trip is available from November through March, with the actual dates being decided by the applicant and the hosting association. It is up to the applicant to decide on the length of the trip between 2 and 4 weeks.
In each of the exchanges, candidates are hosted by a different farrier every week, staying in their homes and experiencing the cultural differences, making great new friends, contacts and learning new skills and tricks.
To apply for either exchange, the first step is to download the application from the AFA website. In addition to the form, candidates must include at least two letters of recommendation from AFA Certified Journeyman Farriers and a copy of their own CF or CJF Certificate. Candidates are also encouraged to submit a formal resume’, photographs of their best work, and letters from other equine professionals, including veterinarians and farriers. While Certified Farriers are encouraged to apply and have a solid opportunity for selection, Certified Journeyman Farriers are given priority in the selection process, in part due to the laws of England allowing AFA CJF’s to ride with hosts who are not designated as “training farriers.”
The deadline for the application for the 3-month exchange is January 1st of the year applying for. The deadline for the short exchange is July 15th of the year. Please send all cultural exchange applications to the AFA Office.
Procedures for selection to the program:
1. Chapters are advised before November 1 by the Committee Chairman of the opportunity to nominate AFA members for the Cultural Exchange program.
2. All Applications, for both the long and short exchanges must be postmarked by December 31 and received in the head office for the following year’s exchange. The requirements for these applications are listed on the AFA website.
3. A candidate’s application may be considered after the application deadline in special circumstances such as postal error, if proof can be provided that the application was mailed before the deadline but the application was lost in route to the head office.
4. The committee will review the applications, interview the candidates at the Annual Convention*, and announce those selected and alternates at the end of the convention.
5. The committee holds the right to not select anyone for the exchange if it deems none of the applicants are ready or qualified enough to make good representatives for the AFA.
6. The committee sets up the schedule for the participants hosted In the United States.
7. The participants are advised of their responsibilities while on the exchange and their schedules for the program.
8. Arrangements are made for the exchange participants to move from one host to the other and to return to their home country.
*Cultural Exchange Candidates must attend Convention for the live interview.
Cultural Exchange Alumni
- 2019 - Kayla Lepper, CJF (Long Exchange)
- 2018 - Heather Beauchemin, CJF TE (long exchange) and Annabelle Westley, CJF (long exchange)
- 2017 - Kim Lacey, CJF & Drew Morales, CJF, AWCF
- 2016 – Paul Papadatos, CJF, TE (long exchange) & Andrew DeVisser, CJF (short exchange)
- 2015 – Sara Vanderpol, CJF (long exchange) & Daniel Crowe, CJF (short exchange)
- 2014 – Victor Frisco, CJF (long exchange) & Alan Dryg, CJF (short exchange)
- 2013 – Jeremy Scudder, CJF & A.J. Mastalerz-Dole, CJF
- 2012- Georgia Barry, CF & Zachary Hickle, CF (short exchange) & Nichole Smith, CJF (short exchange)
- 2011- Dan Corkery, CJF & Justin Fry, CJF (short exchange) & Jacob Manning, CJF (short exchange)
- 2010- Scott Inmon, CJF & Jennifer Horn, CJF (short exchange) & Rusty Wells, CF (short exchange)
- 2009- Josh Ramsey, CJF & Chuck Jones, CJF
- 2008- Bryan Osborne, CJF & Matt Lybeck, CJF
- 2007- Robert Whitt, CJF & Shawn Winters, CF
- 2006- Vern Powell, CJF
- 2005- no applicants
- 2004- John Stedelin, CJF
- 2003- Jerry Plank, CJF & Phil Horan, CJF
- 2002- Todd Walker, CJF & Craig McMillen, CJF
- 2001- suspended (hoof and mouth)
- 2000- suspended (hoof and mouth)
- 1999- Austin Edens, CJF & Vince Vesely, CJF
1998- Andrew Carruthers, CJF & Mike Augenstein, CJF (Australia)
- 1997- Shaun Woodsum, CJF & Cody Lyon, CJF (deceased)
- 1996- Billy Reed, CJF(Australia) & Daniel Walker
- 1995- Bill Poor, CJF & Denis Lee, CJF
- 1994- Geoffrey Goodson, CJF
- 1993- Michael Hutter, IC & Mark Johnson, CJF
- 1992- Keith Lankister & Stephen Stone, CJF
- 1991- Ken Bark, CF & Todd Howes, CF
- 1990- Dave Maney, CF & Mark Terry, CF
- 1989- Steven Muir,CJF & Bill Nelson, CJF
- 1988- Stewart Phelan, CF & Peter Drake, CF
- 1987- Dianne Lemmon, CJF & Gerry Kuntz, CF
- 1986-Hank Garbouchian & Bill Miller, CJF
- 1985-Stewart Mcaulay, CF & Ed Zook, CJF
- 1984-Mark Hensler & Kevin Hail
- 1982- Don Gustafson, CJF & Dave Marvil, CJF