Bruce Daniels was a New Jersey based farrier who taught legions of young men and women to not only become better shoers, but better craftsmen and horsemen. A long time AFA member, Bruce served the Association in a number of capacities throughout the years: as a member of the Publications Committee, an American Farriers Team member, a Regional Director, Secretary, and as the AFA President. In 1992 he was among the first class of farriers inducted into the International Horseshoeing Hall of Fame.
Those who knew Bruce valued his dedication to mentoring, his ability to tell a good story, his skill at the forge, and his commitment to learning. In December of 2014 Bruce passed away at the age of 82. Tributes to him made the rounds of the internet and in print for weeks. One current AFA member, Chris Diehl, CJF, AWCF put together a clinic in memory of Bruce with the idea that the proceeds would go towards something that was near and dear to Bruce’s heart. After discussing his idea with Mrs. Daniels and Bruce’s grown children the concept of a scholarship fund that would give two students a year some assistance with purchasing tools and supplies started to take shape.
Today that concept has become a reality in the form of the Bruce Daniels Scholarship which will be administered under the umbrella of the Jim Linzy Memorial Fund. The guidelines for the scholarship re as follows:
VII. Scholarship Fund
- Monies may be donated or clinics held to raise money for the Bruce Daniels Scholarship Fund.
- The guidelines for money collected or clinics held are to follow those of the Jim Linzy Memorial
- A maximum of five (5) scholarships of up to $500.00 each ($2,500.00 total) may be awarded
each year. Only one (1) Scholarship per School per year shall be awarded.
- The scholarship will be given in the form of a gift card to a supplier that has been a paid exhibitor at an AFA convention in the past 5 years (A list of recent paid exhibitors will be provided with the Scholarship Application)
- Applicants must be active members of the AFA (including Student membership), either current students of a farrier school or recent graduates of a farrier school (no more than 6 months post-graduation) to be eligible for the scholarship. The Owner/Operator of the farrier school must be an active member of the AFA.
- Applicants must provide a Letter of Recommendation from the head of the School, or the head of the School can apply for the student based upon observation of prospective candidates displaying personal tendencies and drive to excel as a farrier while facing financial restraints. (Applicants can choose during the application process which scholarship option, gift card or convention enrollment, better suits personal needs.)
- Scholarship recipients will be chosen by the administrators of the Jim Linzy Fund based on the Application and Letter of Recommendation from the head of the school.
Conditions of Application
A school may submit one (1) student application each year for the Bruce Daniel's scholarship. The school's owner/operator must be an AFA member and the applicant must be a member of the AFA (including student membership) and a current student or one who has graduated within the last 6 months.
Complete the form below to submit your application for scholarship. Hover over underlined fields for popup instructions.